16 mar 2017

TOMIO KOYAMA

Manfredi Beninati interviewed by Arika Suminaga and Satoko Hamada for Tomio Koyama, Tokyo 2009

"All of my works I take it as a therapy, I do it for myself more than anything."

At first I would like to ask you about the title of this show, “Rearranging the Landscapes Around”.

That is because with Tomio, we decided to have a small exhibition in Kyoto at first. It was supposed to be almost two months earlier. So I had very short time to have to get everything ready. So we decided to go for two paintings, two drawings, two sculptures just to test the market. First thing that occurred to me was to take one photo of my mother, and one photo of my father, and to reproduce the photo more or less, roughly, in a painting, drawing, and sculpture. For instance, if you look at that painting, that is my mother sitting there on the table and that is my mother again in a drawing and a sculpture. But the landscape is always different. So Tomio asked me to give him the title, that was the first thing occurred.


So the works are based on the photo of the mother and father.

Yes, so I just took a photo ... roughly.

There is one real image and you added many fictional layers?

No it is like… nothing planned. Draw from the photo, (Manfredi imitates sound of shutter), more or less. …and then the image of my mother, image of my father and try to make landscape around them. they are both asleep, so i was free to make dreamlike landscapes around them. Then for instance you see the bomb there -this thing, in my mind, is a bomb!- This bomb used to be here too (Manfredi points at a sculpture). I didn’t like it around anymore. It was too obvious, so I took it out.

Why is there a bomb? It is very peaceful image for me.

Yeah. That is right. There can be peace around noisy thing. It is like life. For instance if you close your eyes and put your fingers up in the ears, it looks like nothing is happening. But then the world is in fact a… you know. To me that bomb was like a particle, like an atom.

Did you make the drawing first?

No. All together.

All together. At the same time.

Yeah. And in the mean time I was getting another show ready. So I had like twenty works in the studio at the same time.

So it takes a long time to…

Yes… even like those drawings... those are also made in layers. pencil, graphite and gesso, which is a kind of plaster. You put a layer of gesso, draw, throw the gesso again and it has to dry it for like two days before you can draw again. In the mean time I do another things. It is all like occasional, nothing planned.

Do you mean there is no plan for these splashes and brush strokes, just occasionally?


No. Looking for somewhere to start from. You look for things. I am very figurative although if you look at this painting as if it suggests abstraction. There is nothing abstract about my persona. Then when i say “occasional” I mean I let things happen. I want to be democratic even with my works. I don’t want to be too bossy, to impose my point of view on them. It has to be in between my point of view and causality, whatever happens...

Sometimes the images are from your dreams?

No.
Only based on just one picture or something. All the rest is made up out of accidents.
Sometimes I use images of my family, mostly family because I believe you should talk only about things you know very very well. Otherwise keep your mouth shut. Of course my family is what I know best. I am much more familiar with myself, my parents and stuff like that… than other things.
At the same time this painting represents the whole world.
Yeah, it is like a microscopic view of particle, you know. That is why they are so crowded. Because if you look in a microscope, out of maybe little pieces of this paper, you can see billions of things. Nothing really has priority. Everything is on the same level, nothing is like the center. That is really important for me. In politics, when I vote, I vote right wing but like most right wing people in Italy, I am very left wing. I am a communist here in my heart but practically, because I am practical person, I am right wing, because they are only people with a bit of common sense.

Are there many right wing people in Italy?

No. Everybody is left wing. In Italy we have had the biggest communist party outside the Soviet Union, with twenty million members, for forty, fifty years. It was almost like a cultural dictatorship. All artists still are communists in Italy. That is because you have to be a part of that system and that is probably why I vote for the right wing, because I don’t like that. That is like mafia.

Can I ask about sculptures too? How do you make this form since it looks very complicated? It looks like melting.

Yeah, like letting things drop, dripping colors and stuff. This is also kind of a plaster. This part here is so hard. Other parts are less hard. It depends on how much water you mix it with. And this is pink, that is light blue, because I mixed the white plaster with some blue or red pigments. It is a very meditative practice. A very slow process. First I try to make figure out from just dripping. When it does not look at all like a figure I was trying to do, then I start curving. It is like an experience. I had never done it in this way before. It is a good way of killing time too, really good. All of us should do that. It is really like meditation.
Here we can find the same image from the painting, sleeping mother. This mother goes there, and maybe somewhere else.
This is a collage and drawing within the work.
Yeah. There is a drawing underneath. This is also a meditation. All of my works I take it as a therapy, I do it for myself more than anything.

Are the images from many magazines and many sources?

This is out of three magazines and maybe ten newspapers. To me, collage does not really make any sense. I don’t understand collage, and that is why now and then I do one. Because I am trying to find the light to give collage a sense. If it is so messed up, maybe it makes sense. But when it is very simple, like two things, I find it almost offensive. I don’t like the works that are made in half a day, I hate those very quickly executed ones. There must be always a process. You will always have to be able to read the process. That is why I love Mika Kato, for instance. I know how she works. She makes a sculpture first -that must be meditation for her- and then she takes a photo, more photos, like she looks for the angles and finally she starts to paint…It is a perfect way to find enlightment.
I said “Ok. I bet you if I start now, in three, four years I will be at Venice Biennale.”

Let’s talk about this installation

I got the idea to make the installation when Tomio and I decided to move the exhibition from Kyoto to here. He said there was one more room here, a very small room. I thought we could do something like this and he said let’s do it. I did an installation in the show at James Cohan Gallery in New York in 2007 in a very similar manner. Once you enter the gallery and you find the reception here and then a room like this (Manfredi indicates left) , and then another room like that, only a bit longer. The first room was exactly like this one here. So when I saw the map, I thought this is just like James Cohan’s and we decided to do that. Then, because I had already given Tomio the title, “Rearranging the Landscapes Around”, then I thought we should do something messy.
There are many landscapes inside at the same time.
Yeah but you can make up your own, if you want to be stupid... I am joking.

What did make you combine such kind of installation with paintings or sculptures?

In the 51st Venice Biennial 2005, I won the prize and they gave me twenty-something thousand euros to make the work. Instead of doing a big painting, I thought I would like to do an installation. This is all fiberglass. It is all fake.

All fake?

Yeah. It was made in Cinecitta which is the Italian Hollywood, located in Rome. We built it in Rome, brought it to Venice and of course I worked some more during I was there.

So this is your first installation?

My first installation, yes. This also won the Audience prize. So a lot of people were asking me to do an installation. Since then I have done probably like ten. One in Rome this year from an old drawing which was about the light. We had three windows here on the left one window opposite on the door. We set all this light, very technological things with huge scaffolding behind the windows. It is all fake. We had morning, afternoon, evening and dusk. Light is changing constantly and it would also change in terms of color, in the morning it would be blue and night would be red, and it would also move around the room. (Looking through a book). That is actually from a drawing I made five years earlier for the same event. Do you have any of my drawings here?

Not Yet.

There is a big drawing called “Flavio e Palermo”, “Flavio” is my younger brother -he died three years ago-, that this installation is based on. This (Manfredi points at his sleeping mother) is also based on a previous work…this (he shows a painting from the book). I did this two years ago. When I asked my mother to pose for very quick photo, she said “What do you want me to do?” so I said do this. It is almost the same posture as this.

When we are collecting all the furniture and everything...

Did I have an idea? No.

No you did not have and idea.

I had a rough idea. I believe your work. You should work with whatever you have handy, sometimes.

Is this image of our life?

No.
It does not have to be. It is more about my idea of your country.
We decided to go for Japanese, but we had a very small budget... For instance that corner is the most Japanese. At least one corner, to me, looks and feels Japanese.

The screen is very effective for Japanese image.

Yeah. You can see through.

You were working with movie directors.

Yes. That was a very long time ago, I was nineteen to twenty-one. I worked on some films, and then studied cinema, taking films. And then I was doing nothing for five, six years. One day we met up with my brother and my girlfriend at the time in New York. We went to see friends in their studios, artists. They were making such crappy works. My brother said, “Manfredi, you are good at drawing. You should do that too.” I said “Yeah, maybe one day” and then my girlfriend said “No, You would never make it” and I said “Ok, then, I bet you if I start now, in three, four years I will be at Venice Biennale.” To me it was the only thing I knew about contemporary art. That was in 2000. Then I went back to London and started making works. In 2003, I had my first show, and in 2005, I joined Venice Biennale so I won the bet.

The experience with film maker inspired you, right? Your work is like a cinema set.

Cinema is my world, my real passion.





Japanese version:

全ての作品は私にとってセラピーみたいなもの。
誰よりもまず自分のために作っています。
まず、タイトルの『置き直された風景』について聞かせてください。
トミオと最初に、京都で小さな展覧会をしようと話していたんです。そのときは今より2ヶ月ほど早い会期の予定だったので、すごく短い準備期間しかないと思った。ですから、まずはペインティング2点、ドローイング2点、彫刻2点で試してみよう、と思っていたんです。まず最初に私が行ったのは、母の写真と父の写真を1枚ずつ撮り、それを元に多かれ少なかれ加工して、それぞれペインティング、ドローイング、彫刻に仕上げていきました。絵を見ると座っている母の姿が見えますね・・・他の作品にもそれぞれ母の姿があるけれど、風景はいつも異なっている。その時トミオからタイトルを教えてほしいと聞かれたので、このタイトルにしました。それが始めに起こったことです。
今回の作品は全て、お母様とお父様の写真に基づいているのですね。
そう、ラフに撮っただけだけれど。
一つの現実のイメージがあって、その後想像の風景を重ねていったのですか?
いえ、何もプランはしていないのです。写真を撮って、それを元に描いていく(カメラのシャッター音をまねて)、母のイメージ、父のイメージがあって、彼らは両方とも眠っているので、夢のような風景を自由に配することが出来ました。たとえばここには爆弾を描いているのが見えるでしょう?これは、私の頭の中では爆弾なんです。こっちにもあるね(彫刻を指す)、他にも描くのはやめました。露骨になりすぎてしまうから。
なぜ爆弾があるのでしょう、私にはとても平和的な風景に見えるのですが?
そうですね、そのとおりです。平和とは、騒がしいことの周りにも生まれ得るものですよね。人生のようなもの。とても静けさに満ちていて……今この瞬間も、あなたが目をつぶって耳をふさいでしまえば、まるで何も起こっていないかのようですね?けれど実際には……わかりますね。私は粒子を、原子を描いているようなものなのです。
ドローイングを先に仕上げるのですか?
いいえ。全て一緒に。
全て、同時に仕上げるのですか?
そうです。さらに同時に、他の展覧会の作品を準備したりもします。ですから、スタジオにはいつも20点ほど作品がありますよ。
では制作には時間がかかるでしょうね?
そうですね。このドローイングでも、鉛筆と、グラファイト(石墨)と、漆喰の1種であるジェッソを塗り重ねているから、すごく時間がかかる。ジェッソを塗り重ねて、また全面にぶちまけて、そうするとまた手を入れるためには2日間ほど乾かさなくてはいけない。同時に他の事もやるので、すごく臨機応変な、無計画な感じで進めます。
こういった絵の具のしぶきやブラッシュストロークが、偶発的に行われるということ?
いえ。どこから始めるかは、いつも模索しています。何を描くのかも探すし。もしこの絵を見て、抽象的なものを示唆しているように見えたとしても、私はとてもフィギュラティヴ(具象表現的)な人間です。私の人格には、抽象的な要素は一つもない。偶発的な、と言う時には、ものごとをあるがままにしておく、という風に考えています。私は作品においても民主主義的でありたいから、自分の視点を示すための高圧的なものは作りたくないのです。何が起ころうと、私なりの視点と物事の因果関係、その間でなければなりません。
夢の中のイメージが作品のもとになることもありますか?
いいえ。1枚の写真とか、そういったものがベースにあって、その他は偶発的に描かれるということです。
家族のイメージはよく使います、なぜなら本当によく知っていることについてだけ語るべきだと思っているからです。さもなければ口をつぐむべきでしょう。もちろん、家族は私がよく知っているものだから。ミラノについてとか、母についてとか、そんなようなことならいちばんよく知っているので。
同時に、この絵は全世界を表してもいるわけですね。
そう、これは粒子を顕微鏡で見るような視点なのです。だから画面がこんなに入り組んでいる。もしあなたが顕微鏡でこの紙を(インタビュアーの質問用紙を指して)見たら、何百万もの紙の粒子が見えるでしょう。そこに優先順位がある訳ではなく、全てが等価で、なにが真ん中ということはない。これは私にとって大切なことです。政治においては、投票する時、私は右翼に投票します、でも他のイタリアの右翼の人々がそうであるように、私は実際にはとても左翼的な人間です。実質的には−−私は実質的な性格なので−−私は心の中ではコミュニストです、けれども右翼に投票する、それは彼らのことしかよく知らないからなんです。
イタリアには右翼の人がたくさんいるのですか。
いえ、皆、左翼ですよ。イタリアには、2000万人ものメンバーから成るソヴィエト連邦外では最大規模のコミュニスト政党が、四、五十年にわたって存在してきました。ほとんど、文化的独裁国家です。イタリアでは、全てのアーティストはコミュニストです。システムの1部を担わなければいけないからでしょうが、おそらく私が右翼に投票する理由はそれが嫌だからです。そんなのはマフィアみたいだから。
彫刻についてもお尋ねしていいでしょうか。とても複雑なフォルムに思えますが、どうやって造型しているのでしょう。溶けているようですね。
ええ、材料をポトポト落として、さらに色や形をドリッピングさせます。これも石膏の一種ですね。例えばこの部分はとても固いけど、ここはそんなに固くない。水をどれくらい混ぜるかによります。色は原色の顔料に白い石膏をまぜています。瞑想をするような感じで、とてもゆっくりやります。まず、ただ垂らすところから形を作り始め、それが気に入らなかったら、彫ってみるようにします。いい経験です、こんな風に作ったことは今までなかったけれど、暇つぶししているような感じで、とてもいいよ。皆やったらいいのに。本当に瞑想しているみたいなんです。ここにも眠っている母の像があって、きっと他の所にもいるんです。
この作品はコラージュとドローイングですね。
ええ。下の層にドローイングがあります。これも一種の瞑想。全ての作品は私にとってセラピーみたいなもので、誰よりもまず自分のために作っています。
イメージはたくさんの雑誌などからとられているのでしょうか?
これは確か3つの雑誌と、10の新聞から切り抜いています。私にとって、コラージュは全く意味をなしません。コラージュのことは全く理解していなくて、だからこそ時々作るんです。コラージュに意味を与える光を見つけ出したい。こんなに散りばめなければ、意味が生じるのかもしれないけど。だからといって、(要素を)たった2つとかにしてしまうと……ほとんど屈辱的というか、イライラしますね。私は半日でできてしまう作品、すぐできてしまうものが嫌いなんです。常に過程がなくては。そしてあなたはその過程を常に読み取らなくてはいけない。だから加藤美佳さんの作品なんか、好きですよ。どうやって作るか知っている。まず始めに彫刻を作って、それはきっと瞑想的なことに違いないでしょう、さらにそれを写真に撮り、もっと撮影し、まるで天使を捜すようにして、やっと絵を描き始める−−喜びを見出すためには、完璧なやり方です。


「賭けてもいい、僕が今すぐ始めたら、
3,4年でベネツィア・ビエンナーレに出てみせるよ」


このインスタレーションについても話しましょう。
私はトミオと話していて、京都ではなく東京で展示をしようと決めた時、このインスタレーションを作ることを思いつきました。ここにはもう一つ部屋が、小さな部屋があると聞いて、ではこのような展示をしたいと言ったら、彼はやろうやろうと言ってくれました。
2007年に、ニューヨークのジェームス・コーハン・ギャラリーで行った展示でも、ギャラリーに入るとまずレセプションがあって部屋があって、(マンフレディ左のインスタレーションの部屋を指す)それからここよりもう少し長い部屋があった。最初の部屋は、まさにこのインスタレーションの部屋のような感じだったのです。だから図面を見た時、すぐに同じような展示ができると思った。その時既に展示タイトルを「置き直された風景」と決めていたから、なにか散らかったようなインスタレーションにしようと思ったんです。
確かに、中にはたくさんの風景が同時に配置されているかのようですね。
ええ、でも自分で自分の風景を作ってもいいんですよ、バカなことを試したけりゃ!……いや、冗談です。
このようなインスタレーションと、このようなペインティングやドローイングをなぜ結びつけるようになったのですか?
2005年、第51回ヴェネツイア・ビエンナーレのときに、賞をもらって、20,000ユーロくらい賞金をくれたんです。その時、それで大きい絵を作る代わりに、インスタレーションを作りたいと思った。(ヴェネチアの展示の)これらは皆グラスファイバーでできている、フェイクの宮殿なんです。
全部フェイク?
そう。これはイタリアのハリウッドみたいな、ローマにあるチネチッタで作りました。ローマで作ってヴェネツイアへ運んで、もちろん滞在中さらに手を加えました。
ではこれがあなたの最初のインスタレーション作品ですか?
そうです。これは観客賞も受賞して。だからたくさんの人に、インスタレーションを作ってと頼まれます。それ以来10は作ったかな。
今年ローマで作ったのは(Quadriennale di Roma)、そうこれこれ、このときは光についての展示でした。ドアとは反対側に、3面ともに窓があって、私たちは人工的な光をそこにセットしたんです。膨大な足場を組んでね、窓からさも自然光が差しては消えるように。これも全部フェイク。にせものの朝が来て、昼、夕方、たそがれが来る。光は定期的に変化し、色も変わります−−朝は青白く、夜は赤みを帯びる。そして部屋の中を移動していきます。(資料をみて)あ、これはドローイングがあるはずだね、ドローイングを見た?
まだです。
『Flavio e Palermo』というドローイングがあって、それは3年前に亡くなった弟を描いたものなんだ、このインスタレーション(Quadriennale di Roma)の基になっています。
私たちが(インスタレーションのための)家具やら何やら集めている間・・・
僕になにかアイデアがあったかって?いいえ、ですね!
ええ、無かったような…
大体の案はあったんだよ。あとはあなたがたの働きを信じていますから。あなたがたが僕に渡してくれたものに関しては、なんでも協力してやってもらわないと!
これは、私たちの生活のイメージですか?
いえ。必ずしもそうである必要はないんです。これは皆さんの国について私が考えていること以上の、何かなんです。和の雰囲気にしようとは決めてたけど、予算があまりなかったからね。今見ると、このコーナーの所なんかはとても日本的かな。
このすだれが、日本的な効果を出していますね。
そう、中をのぞけて。
あなたは映画監督たちと仕事をしていらっしゃいましたね。
ええ。すごく昔のことです、私が19歳から21になるまででした。いくつかの映画に関わり、映画について勉強し、多くのことを語りました。そのあと5、6年は何もしていなくて。ある日、弟と当時のガールフレンドと一緒に、ニューヨークで会ったんです。そこで他のアーティストのスタジオをいくつか回りました。
そしたら皆、くだらないもの作っててね。弟が言いました、「マンフレディ、君はドローイングが上手いじゃないか。君もこれをやったらいいよ。」 私は「ああ、いつかね」と答えました。するとガールフレンドが、「いいえ、あなたがやるはずないわ」と言ったので、私はこう言ったんです。「賭けてもいい、僕が今すぐ始めたら、3、4年でベネツィア・ビエンナーレに出てみせるよ」と。
その頃、私が知っている現代アートのことと言ったら、ヴェネツイア・ビエンナーレくらいでした。それが2000年のことで、そのあと私はロンドンに戻って制作を始めた。2003年に最初の個展を開き、2005年にヴェネツイアに出展したから−−賭けに勝ったわけです。
映画監督とのお仕事の経験から影響を受けられているでしょうね?あなたの作品は映画のセットを彷彿とさせますから。
映画は私の世界、本当のパッションなんです。

Nessun commento:

Posta un commento